Thursday, September 03, 2009

Po' Roscoe

I'm sure we all know that dogs eat crazy things from time to time. For instance, my friend Ashly's shih tzu has been known to enjoy a frozen poop, or a "poopsicle", from his porch in the wintertime. I personally have witnessed my dogs feasting on Gwyneth's spit up (its very convenient sometimes because she spits up on the tile and then, boom, its gone!) Of course, they also will eat their own vomit most of the time as well. Most of these things are pretty harmless in modest doses and the dogs go about their day as usual. Well, today is not one of those days because today Roscoe actually ate Gigi's poopy diaper. Yes, he ripped apart the diaper and consumed about 80% of the inner absorbtion material leaving only the outer shell and the liner left to be discovered. I was very worried about him, naturally, so I called my brother who manages a veterinary clinic. He says, "You should make him throw up by forcing hydrogen peroxide down his throat and then shaking his belly like a volcano." Eric also called his co-worker, Teresa who is a dog officianado. She called our vet, Dr. Dan Goode for us. Dr. Dan says, "Just wait and see if it passes and he'll have severe diaherria for a couple of days. If he gets depressed and drools a lot, then he probably needs surgery." Well, after careful contemplation, we decided to get as much of the pain over with now by forcing him to vomit. So we took an unused bulb syringe and repeatedly filled it up and squirted it down his throat. Within 5 minutes about a cup of diaper material, hydrogen peroxide and dog food was spewed onto the lawn. Then the vomiting continued for about 10 minutes. Now, po' Roscoe is just laying on Eric's leg were he hasn't moved for the last hour.



We love you Roscoe! We're all pulling for a speedy recovery and can't wait to see you back to your usual neurotic-yet-playful self.

4 comments:

Makell and David said...

That is something I hope never happens to our dogs but if it does I now know what to do. So thanks! I hope Roscoe gets better.
P.S. Your little girl is so cute.

Ashly in CO said...

Poor little Roscoe! That is so sad! Hopefully he got it all out and doesn't need surgery!

It was SO GOOD to see you guys last night! Loves.

Em said...

LOLOL I miss my dog so much. We had a dog when I was younger that my parents had to put on a diet...he go so weird that he started to eat the ceramic frogs in their back yard. LOLOL

Emi Sorensen said...

Someday, when I have a dog, I pray this will NEVER happen-funny as it was.....