Thursday, October 01, 2009

Information travels faster in our modern age

There’s probably some really great quote out there about how when a person is informed they are empowered. Well, that is my quote for the day. Today I realized how very uninformed I have been for the past 2 years on our family’s cell phone billing. First of all, for the past 2 years my husband and I have been paying $107 a month for our 2 cell phones. A seemingly “normal” cost these days but still unbelievable for what we are actually using.

So, about a month ago my dear hubby says to me, he says, “you’re probably going to be mad at me.”

“Why?” says I, knowing that I am usually mad at him in his ignorance so this must be really bad if he is aware of the problem.

“Because today I signed up for the employee discount with Verizon that I have been eligible for since I’ve worked with the state” says Eric.

“Wow! (incredulous) You have got to be kidding me? What is the discount?” says I.

“It cuts our bill by about $20” says Eric.

(pause to gather yourself, Jenny)

“Well, that’s good that you did that. I just can’t believe that you knew about it and you didn’t do it sooner” says I, trying to be supportive.

So let’s tally up $20 a month for about 24 months = $480. But wait there’s more…

TODAY I go online because my mom brought to my attention that my cell phone emits too much radiation and so, since I will be eligible for a new free/discounted phone in a couple of weeks, I must research which phones have the lowest SAR values. (Feel free to laugh at this, I won’t mind, just wait until you get cancer and your ear falls off because of over-radiation and then we’ll see who’s laughing.) So I start looking at some other things on the Verizon Wireless website and discover, quite unexpectedly, that Eric and I aren’t even on a family plan that would save us an additional $20 per month!!
Let’s see, 2 years, $40 a month we could have been saving with the exact same service we have now comes to a total of $960 that has gone into some Verizon corporate big wig’s pocket to help pay for his or her daily golf and spa package. Meanwhile, I have been slaving away to improve the oral health of people that don’t even care enough to floss! So the point is, BE INFORMED. That should be added to President Hinckley’s “Be’s”. Oh, and by the way, if you are INFORMED about your oral health you will definitely floss or at least use some kind of interdental cleaning device daily.

4 comments:

Ashly in CO said...

Those cell phone companies'll trick ya! That's for sure! After like 4 years of being a loyal (although not always happy) T-Mobile customer I FINALLY was offered unlimited minutes for $39.99/month. And I agree, be informed. Usually if you call them to negotiate a price they'll usually tell you if you could be getting a better deal. But now you can buy yourself a golf/spa package for a day with the money you'll be saving! Booyah!

cdsdds said...

would a finger nail count as an interdental cleaning device?

Meg said...

Haha!!! Oh Jenny that's why i'm just staying on my parents family plan! Who says you have to become independent when you get married? Now I just need to figure out a way to have my mom continue doing my laundry. As for flossing, i'm sorry in advance, I will be coming in soon for my 6 month checkup and I haven't been doing a very good job of flossing so there now you know and it won't be so awkward when you're hands are in my mouth and you say "Meg have you been flossing regularly?" (when indeed you know that I haven't because they are now bleeding) now we can skip this whole conversation and you can just tell me to step it up for next time!

The Jones' said...

Sooo... I totally agree with you and the radiation thing! lol.. so now people can laugh at both of us! But, did you find out which phone is better?? Also, I have been flossing my teeth lately, but could you reem your brother in law about that one? He doesn't value the benefits of a healthy mouth like he should! :)