Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Baby bird


So tonight as Eric was out working in the yard he stumbled upon a surprise. He came in the house and asked, "Hey, do you want to see something cute?" I jumped up from the couch as if I had been awaiting any invitation at a possibility for some excitement. Eric led me out to the base of our pine tree where we found this fuzzy little guy. After discussing the possibilities, Eric decided to try and put him back in the nest that has kept us from cutting down this very pine tree. Now, we don't have a ladder so Eric did a "test" climb seeing if it would be possible for him to reach the nest. Upon reaching the nest, we learned that there were no other birds in the nest. I became nervous for the little bird. What if the mama bird had abandoned him? But I went inside, got my camera out to capture his cuteness in digital form and to use my camera case to contain the bird around Eric's neck as he climbed the pine. Eric placed the bird into my camera case and began his daring climb back up into the tree.

At last he reached the branch with the nest, dug into the case, pulled the baby bird out and gently stretched forth his hand to the nest, successfully delivering the bird into the comfort and safety of its home. With hope, I continued to capture the rescue attempt with my camera.


Eric posed happily as he made his way out of the tree. Then, looking back at the nest he yelled down to me, "Its trying to climb out of the nest!" Then, I noticed a quail on the other side of our fence. Eric, spotting the same bird said, "Quick, go inside and look up what a baby quail looks like." I ran inside, frantic, realizing our mistake far too late! Sure enough, the bird we thought we were rescuing was indeed a baby quail. Now for those of you who don't know, quails are ground animals. I ran out to Eric to tell him to get the bird out of the nest. As I came into his sight, I said, "IT'S A BABY QUAIL!" To which he replied, "It's already on the ground somewhere!" I slowly walked towards the tree, watching every step for fear of crushing it beneath my own feet. Alas, I found it, amazingly alive and well by a pile of wood. Eric and I quickly cleaned up and headed into the house just hoping that this birds mom would come to the rescue as soon as our threatening presence was gone. Hopefully!!

6 comments:

Erin said...

It's like this story was taken from the headlines of Animal Cops. Way to go you two.

Aimee said...

Hey cutie! I changed the link to my blog and wanted you to have the address. Click on my name and I think it'll bring you right to me! Hope you're doing well sweets!

Chelsee said...

So much fun to see you left a comment on my blog. I must admit that I have been to your blog a few times but didn't want you to think I was crazy and blog stocking you. Anyway I am adding you too. I hope you visit our blog again soon!

The Tucketts said...

Oh my gosh! Adam and I wish we could shrink you and Eric and keep you in our pockets! You two are hilarious!

airteresa said...

awesome quail story. way to do your research!

airteresa said...

And I also can't wait for Christmas this year for that wii!! Thanks for finding it for us. You're awesome.