Monday, June 02, 2008

My first year!

Well, I just had my one-year review at my job with Dr. Smith. I technically haven't been a registered dental hygienist for one year until June 18th but I started assisting at Dr. Smith's office before I got my license. So, one year at Dr. Smith's means that I am now getting a 401k, a raise in my salary & I finally get 2-weeks of paid time off. I feel very fortunate for every benefit I have at Dr. Smith's, due to the fact that probably at least half of the dentists out there still don't offer employee benefits. I am a saving junkie so I am very excited about the 401k. I was also very happy about the paid time off last week when I came down with the stomach flu! I can't tell you the misery of those few days when I was so sick I just wanted to crawl into a hole and step into coma but I suffered through 8 hours of hygiene just so I wouldn't miss the paycheck. Oh, the joy of paid sick-leave! Anyway, it is amazing how fast a year goes by. Dr. Smith asked me how the job was different than I expected and at first, I couldn't think of much but finally I said, " I thought I would be bored with the job after a year. I thought I would know it all and be a lot more complacent. And that is definitely not the case!" I am still learning so much about hygiene. And there will always be more to learn and keep up with. Just today, I was reading about a hygienist that used a product called Emdogain after SRP to help with attachment regeneration. She turned a 15 mm pocket into a 3-4 mm pocket! (For those that have made it this far and don't know hygiene lingo, that is amazing!) I don't know much about Emdogain or products like it, but I'd like to & there's much more out there to learn! But aside from the technical stuff, there's always more to learn about and from people too. Today, I had a patient with a ZAP! car, its an electric car that only has 3 wheels and she took me out to see it after her cleaning. People are so interesting and I have a job that allows me to interact with people in a one-on-one intimate setting and usually see them again every 3-6 months. I really enjoy my job more than I ever thought I would! I do have those days when I come home and crash on the couch all night due to exhaustion but in the end, I think its worth it.

Oh and in other news, Eric is only taking the garbage out past sunset now because he enjoys testing the motion light that he installed on the side of our house. I am very proud of all his hard work (and very thankful for Kent's help).

12 comments:

Henderson said...

hey, congrats on one year! I am glad you have a job you love (and benefits don't hurt either)! :)

The Jones' said...

Alright!! Glad to see the benefits! And why doesn't that surprise me about Eric??.... crazy kid.

Send in the Clown said...

So what I once hit the eight ball in the corner pocket from behind my back and I only had one eye open. So all that take about reducing the pocket by a few mm is no big deal I am the big deal.

PS i read all that and I didn't understand any of it. Paid Sick leave? Who are you the queen of England?

Wendy Anderson said...

Hey Jenny, thats awesome your still liking your job so much and the benefits sound wonderful I am happy for you!! But yes I now have 2.5 weeks left and am anxiously waiting for Kostons arrival!! Yes we are at my moms for the time being and it is the same house I grew up in, its nice to be back in WJ even though its frustrating that we havent found a house yet!!

{Brittany} said...

Congratulations. You are big time now!

Tatiana said...

Yeah for 401K's! I'm going to be talking to my doctor about starting mine soon as well! I also feel so blessed because I'm able to work where I do. I hear ya on how I feel like I'm still learning so much. I was telling my dad the other day how much I love being a hygienist and how I love my schedule. I have 1-2 days off a week, yet when I'm at work I just love what I'm doing and I think I learn about so many other things from patients. I love this job!

Em said...

I sure hope I can find an office that offers benifits when I came home. I just remembered that it's been one year since we graduated. It has gone by so fast. Sound like your doing good Jen.

Rory and Jen said...

Wow, time really does fly, it is hard to believe that it has been a year already. It sound like you have an awesome job and a great dentist to work for. I am gald things are going well for you.

Andi said...

Congrats Jenny on One Year. That is so exciting!

Bri, Steph, Whit, Tay, James, Ben, Sam said...

I can't believe it's been a year! That means it's been about 15 months since I've been to the hygienist! I know, I know...
I am so proud of you, Jen.
It's a good life, isn't it? I saw a sign that read "It's a good life" the other day, and I'm going to make one and hang it in my home. I'm happy for you, and happy for Eric, and happy for you both together. (And, no, I didn't cry at this one - I'm getting a little more sleep these days.)

Mandy said...

Happy 1 year! Paid time off is fabulous. Too bad I didn't get it with my current job. Oh wait, I don't even get monetary payment with my current job :) Since Steph confessed I better also, it has been 2 years since I have been to the dentist/hygienist! But I have this husband who thinks he know his dental stuff and tells me my teeth are fine. What does he know?

Ashly in CO said...

Congrats Zen!!! Now, you should definitely use some of that PTO to make a girls trip with Meg!!! I still don't know if I have Monday or Friday off but I'll be sure to let you know!
PS---how do you add your friends blogs to your page? This is all foreign still.