Happy 80th birthday to Grandpa Carver. Last Saturday we drove up to Logan to have a surprise party for him. We all were supposed to meet at a park where we were going to have a family picture taken... but the photographer ditched us so we all moved to the Iron Gate Grill where we had a very nice lunch, entertainment provided by, great now I can't remember their name... it was the Rootbeer something or others. Then people were assigned to make a cake that represented Grandpa Carver in some way and as you saw, my cake was clearly the best. None of the other cakes were served fresh in the baking pan and looked like a four year old had helped out! In reality, all the other cakes were very impressive and I would just like to defend myself by saying that this was the FIRST TIME that I have EVER attempted at decorating a cake, outside of just slapping some frosting on it. And in addition to that little fact, the baking process itself didn't go without a few glitches. Here's a little lesson learned from the experience; If you forget to add water prior to mixing all the other ingredients and then add the water afterwards, it just doesn't work! Trust me! And since I don't have a professional photograph to post, here's some of my snapshots.
So here are some pictures at the park. Eric & Grandpa... Or, Eric and Eric when he is 80!

Grandpa Carver loves new babies and its a good thing because he's got four babies now under 1. (At least I think that's right.)

I like to think that Payton is just thinking very carefully about his next move on the playground here.

And Eric had great vision when he suggested that I take this picture of Grandpa's footwear. Hey, when you get to 80, comfort is #1. And he's got the "Gold Toe". Nothin' to be ashamed of here!
2 comments:
Thanks for posting about Grandpa's Surprise party. I am sad that we could not be there for it. Oh well, hopefully soon we will be able to be there for more family functions!! I love all the cakes! You did a great job for a first timer. You should see mine and I have done a couple...I am not very good!
IF you're wearing gold toe you gota flaunt it!
Post a Comment